I recently got the new Tamiya British Mk IV Male tank, which looks pretty good to me and will be shortly be started. The box (the “export version” it says on it) also included their WWI British Infantry set. I thought I would have a go at one of them – the officer – first, since it is an age since I tried any figures. As such, I make absolutely no claims to be any good at this particular type of modelling. Anyway, assembly was straightforward – this being Tamiya the fit of parts was nigh on perfect. I made some changes from the recommended build – swapping his cap for a helmet and leaving off the water bottle and bag.
Following a primer coat with Tamiya “Fine Surface Primer” (light grey) spray, I used the following paints:
- Skin – Vallejo Model Color “Medium Fleshtone” 70860, followed by Vallejo Model Color “Flat Flesh” 70955 on the raised areas (bridge of nose, lips, cheeks, outside of ears) and then a highlight of Vallejo Model Color “Basic Skintone” 70815 on top of that. Vallejo Model Color “Light Flesh” 70928 (eyes). Vallejo Model Color “Flat Earth” 70983 (moustache and eyebrows).
- Uniform (trousers and jacket) – Vallejo Model Color “English Uniform” 70921. Buttons by Vallejo Model Color “Old Gold” 70878. Dry brushed with Vallejo Model Color “Khaki Grey” 70880.
- Uniform (shirt and tie) – Vallejo Model Color “Khaki” 70888 (shirt) and Vallejo Model Color “Olive Grey”70888 (tie).
- Helmet (bare) – Vallejo Model Color “Olive Grey” 70888. Vallejo Model Color “German Cam. Black Brown” 70822 was applied with a sponge to simulate areas of slight paint chipping. Dry brushed with Games Workshop “Boltgun Metal”.
- Leather belt/straps – Vallejo Model Color “Leather Brown” 70871.
- Leather boots – Vallejo Panzer Aces “Leather belt” 312. Dry brushed with Vallejo Model Color “Saddle Brown” 70940.
- Leather gloves – Vallejo Model Color “Leather Brown” 70871. Dry brushed with Vallejo Panzer Aces “Leather belt” 312.
- Baton – Vallejo Panzer Aces “New Wood” 311. Staining with Winsor and Newton “Burnt Umber” oil paint.
- Pistol – Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950. Dry brushed with Games Workshop “Boltgun Metal”.
The base was primed and then treated several times with Games Workshop “Astrogranite” texture paint. Following attachment of the figure, I initially painted the base with Vallejo Model Color “Flat Earth” 70983, followed by Tamiya XF-52 “Flat Earth” (25% paint in Tamiya X-20A thinner).
I’m quite happy with the skin tone. The eyes look a bit scary to me! Some of the very fine details (the braid on the jacket) was not too well defined once the base coat was on (it was sort of visible when I dry brushed it), so I thought it best not to try to guess where it was. I am sure that my camera is not up to properly taking shots of miniatures this small. One day perhaps I will do the rest.