Skarach's world


1 Comment

M3 Lee

Unknown unit, Soviet Union, 1942-43.

M3 Lee build – Part 1:Introduction
M3 Lee build – Part 2:Assembly
M3 Lee build – Part 3:Painting
M3 Lee build – Part 4:Weathering (chipping and wash)
M3 Lee build – Part 5:Weathering (fading, streaks, dust)
M3 Lee build – Part 6:Tracks
M3 Lee build – Part 7:Weathering (dirt and mud, fuel stains)

Advertisements


1 Comment

M3 Lee build – Part 7:Weathering (dirt and mud, fuel stains)

  • To start with, a mixture of AMMO “Dark Earth” and “Europe Earth” pigments were dropped onto the lower hull and fixed with a 1:1 mixture of AMMO “Pigment Fixer” (A.MIG-3000) and enamel thinners, added by brush.
  • To create a thicker mud mixture, I followed a recipe – roughly equal amounts of AMMO “Dark Earth” pigment, dried dirt, sand, plaster and grass flock mixture were mixed with Vallejo “Matt Medium” (73540) and water, to create a thick, dark paste. I applied this to the lower hull, running gear and tracks. Once dry, I chipped off a few of the oversized clumps. Otherwise, I quite liked the look of it – it seemed quite robust and ready to accept further weathering.
  • To the upper hull and turret I applied the same pigments as the first step – not too dirty, but adequately used looking.
  • The  machine guns, gun barrel ends and metal tools were lightly brushed with Vallejo “Carbon Black” pigment.
  • Dilute mixtures of Wilder “Brown Shadow” (LS25), Abteilung 502 “Engine Grease” (ABT160) and “Bitumen” (ABT004) oil paint in enamel thinners were flicked from a brush onto the surfaces of the hull, running gear and tracks, to represent the subtlest stains or patches.
  • The “Engine Grease” oil paint, in thick concentration with added Humbrol “Gloss Cote”, was added to certain wheels to represent new oil leaks.
  • “Bitumen” and “Engine Grease” oil paint in various concentrations and glossiness was added to the areas of the fuel filling caps, to simulate fuel leaks and stains.


1 Comment

M3 Lee build – Part 6:Tracks

  • Friulmodel Sherman T51 tracks (ATL-47) were linked with Albion Alloys’ 0.5 mm brass rod. I am sure that when I did these before they came in two parts, which you had to glue together before linking up. This latest set had the track (predominately rubber tread) in one piece, which I applaud, but I found that it was not drilled all the way through for the brass pin. So, these were linked together with about 4 mm pieces of rod on each end. In reality I didn’t cut a bunch of these to size, just pushing in larger pieces of the rod in each end, dabbed at the inserting end with superglue and cutting and filing them down in place.
  • Treated with UMP “Ultimate Burnishing Liquid”.
  • The rubber treads were painted with LifeColor “Tyre Black” (UA733).
  • The entire tracks were sprayed with Citadel “Purity Seal”, to protect the paint on subsequent steps.
  • A dilute mixture of Winsor & Newton “Burnt Umber” oil paint in enamel thinners was was added to the metal parts of the tracks and allowed to collect in the recesses.
  • A mixture of AMMO “Dark Earth” and “Europe Earth” pigments were dropped onto the tracks and fixed with a 1:1 mixture of AMMO “Pigment Fixer” (A.MIG-3000) and enamel thinners, added by brush.
  • I will be doing some final weathering steps on these after they are on the vehicle.


1 Comment

M3 Lee build – Part 5:Weathering (fading, streaks, dust)

  • The following oil paints were added as dots to the various surfaces (the lighter colours higher up the vehicle than the darker): AMMO Oilbrusher “Black”, “White”, “Dark Brown”, “Medium Grey”, “Olive Green”, “Yellow” and Winsor & Newton “Payne’s Grey” and “Permanent Magenta”. They were then drawn down the vertical sides with a flat brush or worked into the horizontal surfaces in a circular motion. This was to attempt an effect of paint fading and streaking.
  • To simulate dirt and dust, the horizontal sides of the hull and turret were dampened with enamel thinner and then dots of AMMO Oilbrusher “Dusty Earth”, “Dark Mud” and “Starship Filth” were added. Then, using a round brush, the oil paints were blended.
  • To simulate dirt streaks, the vertical and sloping sides of the hull and turret were dampened with enamel thinner and then dots of AMMO Oilbrusher “Dusty Earth” and “Medium Soil” were added. Then, using a flat brush, the oil paint was drawn down the side to simulate streaks. After drying, this process was repeated multiple times.


1 Comment

M-72 build – Part 2:Assembly

This is a pretty small model by my standards but it fitted together well. It is quite delicate, though, and I will have to attach the wheels once painted.

I got this in the shop at the Museum of the Great Patriotic War in Moscow, last September (pretty much the only kit I could fit in my luggage for the journey home), so it’s about time I finished it.