Skarach's world

Crusader Mk III build

1 Comment

The vehicle

The Bovington vehicle.

The kit

Italeri 1/35 kit. This is a limited edition reissue (No.2040 of 3500) of a kit from 1976! I must admit that in places it shows – there are some definite accuracy and fitting issues which I was not able (or willing) to completely remedy. But, there it is, a decent representation at least of this vehicle for my British collection.






  • Humbrol spray can primer
  • Base coat 1: A mixture of 80% Tamiya XF-59 “Desert Yellow” and 20% Tamiya X-22 Clear in Tamiya X-20A thinner (ratio 2/3 paint mixture to 1/3 thinner).
  • Base coat 2: A mixture of 80% Tamiya acrylics (ratio 2 parts XF-59 “Desert Yellow”, 1 part XF-57 “Buff”) and 20% Tamiya X-22 Clear in Tamiya X-20A thinner (ratio 2/3 paint mixture to 1/3 thinner).
  • Details: Tools (Vallejo Panzer Aces “Old Wood” 310, Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950, Games Workshop “Chainmail”), headlight (Games Workshop “Mithril SIlver”), Besa machine guns (Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950), tyres (Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950).




Use of Quick Shine and Purity Seal.


  • Chipping with Vallejo Model Color “German Camouflage Black Brown” 70822 using sponge and brush.
  • Exhaust pipes painted with Lifecolor “Rust dark shadow” UA 701 and dry brushed with Lifecolor “Rust base color” UA 702 and Lifecolor “Rust light shadow 1” UA 703.
  • Wash with AK Interactive “Wash for DAK Vehicles” AK 066. General wash followed with white spirit clean up. I gave the whole vehicle a wash with undiluted AK066, but it looked quite dark to me so I ended up washing the bulk of it away with spirit. Not for the first time on a model, I am not at all sure that the wash will be particularly visible, but for this vehicle there are more important effects (see dust below). Also, I would sooner have a subtle effect than an overwhelming one. Next time I might consider diluting this particular wash.
  • Certain vertical streaks of AK Interactive “Streaking Grime for DAK Vehicles” AK 067 applied.
  • Selective application of Mig Productions “Standard Rust Effects” P411 to exhaust area.
  • Application of AK Interactive “Africa Dust Effects” AK 022, attempting to emulate the technique described on pages 144-145 of the Jiménez FAQ 2 book. So, painting on the mixture with a brush, waiting a few minutes and selective removal using a brush damp with white spirit.
  • Mig Productions “Oil and Grease Stain Mixture” P410 applied in small amounts to the turret ring.
  • AK Interactive “Fuel Stains” AK 025 was added to where the external fuel tank connects to the tube.




The Friulmodel tracks were treated with Blacken-It twice and then washed with various mixtures of Winsor and Newton oil paints (Lamp black, Raw umber, Burnt umber) in white spirit. A dusty appearance was effected by application of AK Interactive “Africa Dust Effects”, followed by removal of the excess with white spirit after a few minutes. Finally, a light rub of the track with fine sand paper to reveal surface contact metal.




One thought on “Crusader Mk III build

  1. Pingback: Crusader Mk III | Skarach's world

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.