Skarach's world

“Berlin 1945” diorama – Part 4:Weathering

Leave a comment

  • AMMO Oilbrusher “Starship Filth” and “Starship Bay Sludge” were worked into the surfaces of the buildings and pavement and the excess wiped away with cotton bud to generally give them a dirtier look. Similarly, the doors and window frames were treated with various dark oil paints.
  • The road was washed with a solution of Wilder “Neutral Earth” oil paint (LS18) in enamel thinners, with the excess wiped away.
  • The exposed brick sections of the buildings were painted with AMMO Oilbrusher “Dusty Earth” or “Medium Soil” in order that the paint get between the bricks, to simulate mortar. The excess paint was wiped away with cotton bud.
  • The road and pavement was dry brushed with various light grey coloured acrylic paints, to achieve a variation in the grey colours.
  • Once dry, the entire model was sprayed with a 1:2 mixture of Mr.Color “Flat Clear” (182) and Mr.Color Leveling Thinner.
  • The road and pavement had an initial dusting of various earth coloured pigments, fixed in place by the application of  a 1:1 mixture of AMMO “Pigment Fixer” (A.MIG-3000) and enamel thinners.
  • The tram lines were washed with a rust coloured oil paint and then brushed with AK Interactive “Dark Steel” pigment, to represent polishing of the metal.
  • To start the work of simulating heaps of rubble and debris in front of the ruined buildings and road, I first glued sections of polystyrene blocks down with wood glue – in order to establish a base in which to detail the rubble piles. Later, I painted these blocks with Vallejo Model Color “Cavalry Brown” (70982).
  • Various larger pieces of debris and other items – chunks of the building, spare bricks, a broken door, abandoned fuel drums – were painted and glued in place.
  • Wood glue was painted on the polystyrene and real brick fragments and dust – achieved by breaking up a brick with a hammer – was dropped onto the glue. Later on, I found it quicker to pile up this mixture on the blocks and then drop AK Interactive “Gravel and Sand Fixer” (AK118) onto it all by means of a pipette. Smaller amounts of this brick mix were fixed on the road.
  • Later I added smaller amounts of AMMO “Rubble” and “Brick Dust” pigments.
  • Various pieces of balsa wood – painted with wood coloured acrylic paint and then stained with oil paint – were added at this point to simulate broken window frames and floor and ceiling planks and beams.
  • To simulate broken window panes, I broke up microscope slide cover glass and attached them in various points – the window frames, rubble and road – using “Formula 560 canopy glue”.
  • Extra individually cast bricks were added to the rubble and road.
  • After this, I just went back and forth, adding more brick dust and other pigments until I was happy with the look.

Reference

Windrow, Richard, Advanced Terrain Modelling (Osprey, 2007)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.