Primer: Tamiya “Fine Surface Primer” spray can
Base coat: A mixture of 80% Tamiya XF-59 “Desert Yellow” and 20% Tamiya X-22 Clear in Tamiya X-20A thinner (ratio 2/3 paint mixture to 1/3 thinner).
Camouflage colour 1: A mixture of 80% Tamiya XF-23 “Light Blue” and 20% Tamiya X-22 Clear in Tamiya X-20A thinner (ratio 2/3 paint mixture to 1/3 thinner).
Camouflage colour 2: A mixture of 80% Tamiya acrylics (ratio 5 parts XF-26 “Deep Green”, 1 part XF-1 “Flat Black”) and 20% Tamiya X-22 Clear in Tamiya X-20A thinner (ratio 2/3 paint mixture to 1/3 thinner).
This camouflage scheme – which I believe is called the “Caunter scheme” – necessitated the use of a vast amount of Tamiya masking tape, the progress of which is shown in the pictures. I must confess that about half way through this process I was regretting not selecting one of the simpler Matilda colour schemes! Still, I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome – no paint or small parts torn away by removing the tape. That stuff is awesome. There was a small amount of paint bleed to be corrected. Now, what I ended up with is not remotely demonstration quality, but, viewed from a distance it will look OK! I am also quite sure that it is not exactly how the real scheme looked, in shape or colour. For once, I used exactly the paints which the Tamiya instructions recommended. I was aware that many people think that at least some of these suggested colours are “wrong”, perhaps the result of researching a particular museum vehicle which has been incorrectly repainted. Of course, grossly inaccurate colours are unacceptable but these days I am a little less concerned about matching what is deemed to be the exact base colour. I have in the past painted two tanks with the exact same base colour, only for them to have slightly different appearances in the end, due to differences in weathering. The effect of heavy weathering on the same vehicle is well described here. I must admit that I was not wholly sure how to paint the exhaust pipes emerging from the top of the vehicle and running to the back of it. The moulding on them suggests that they have some kind of covering on the pipes. For now, I have left them as the camouflage scheme, as the Tamiya artwork implies. If I find more convincing reference pictures I may well change it.
- tools (Vallejo Panzer Aces “Old Wood” 310, Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950 + Vallejo Model Color “White” 70951 mix, Games Workshop “Chainmail”)
- smoke grenade launchers (Vallejo Panzer Aces “New Wood” 311, Games Workshop “Boltgun Metal”)
- headlights, lamp, mirror (Games Workshop “Mithril Silver”)
- track (Vallejo Panzer Aces “Track Primer” 304, Games Workshop “Chainmail”)
- machine gun (Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950, Games Workshop “Chainmail”)
- periscopes (Vallejo Panzer Aces “Periscopes” 309)