Skarach's world

Cromwell Mk IV build

1 Comment

The vehicle

Above, the Bovington vehicle. The vehicle upon which Tamiya must have based one of their marking schemes and which I used – that of the 1st Polish Armoured Division – can be seen here.

The kit

Tamiya 1/35 kit.

Assembly

Includes the Tamiya photo etch set.

  

  

  

I excluded the side skirts and track guards as in this real vehicle:

Painting

  • Primer: Tamiya Fine Surface Primer
  • Base coat: A mixture of 80% Tamiya acrylics (ratio 5 parts XF-61, 2 parts XF-62, 3 parts XF-3) and 20% Tamiya X 22 Clear in Tamiya X-20A thinner (ratio 2/3 paint mixture to 1/3 thinner).
  • Details: Fire extinguisher (Xtracrylix “British Khaki Drab” XA1816 and Vallejo Model Color “Brass” 70801), tools (Vallejo Panzer Aces “Old Wood” 310, Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950, Games Workshop “Chainmail”), headlight and lamp (Games Workshop “Mithril SIlver”), Besa machine guns (Vallejo Model Color “Black” 70950), periscopes (Vallejo Panzer Aces “Periscopes” 309).

  

 

Decals

The only thing notable here was my use of Quick Shine as a replacement for gloss varnish. As I have described it worked well.

  

Weathering

  • Chipping with Vallejo Model Color “German Camouflage Black Brown” 70822.
  • Wash with AK Interactive “Dark Wash For Green Vehicles” AK 045. General wash and pin wash, followed with white spirit clean up.
  • Vertical streaks of AK Interactive “Dark Streaking Grime” AK 024 applied.
  • Selective application of AK Interactive “Rust Streaks” AK 013 as streaks and local areas of rust.
  • A 1:1 mixture of AK interactive “Dust Effects” AK 015 and AK Interactive “Earth Effects” AK 017 was applied to certain parts of the horizontal surfaces. After several minutes, the excess mixture was removed by brushing white spirit.
  • To a an 8:1 mixture of Earth Effects AK 017 and Dust Effects AK 015 was added a small amount  of plaster until a consistency of liquid cream was achieved. This was then blown from a brush onto the lower hull, wheels and track.
  • A small amount of AK Interactive “Fuel Stains” AK 025 added to (hopefully) appropriate places on the hull.
  • Mig Productions “Oil and Grease Stain Mixture” P410 was added to certain parts of the side hull, running gear and the under turret area.

  

 

Tracks

The Friulmodel tracks were treated with Blacken-It, then a wash of oil paint and application of Mig Productions “Dry Mud” pigment. Finally, polishing of the track contact surface with fine sand paper. Incidentally, I found some interesting thoughts on this latter technique here.

 

Stowage

I delved into my spares box for various bits of stowage, including a “liberated” German fuel can appropriated for a new Allied use! The items were painted and weathered with various of the products shown below.

  

  

Advertisements

One thought on “Cromwell Mk IV build

  1. Pingback: Cromwell Mk IV | Skarach's world

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s