Skarach's world

ISU-122 build – Part 2:Assembly


  • Looking at pictures of this vehicle in action, particularly in urban theatres, it was obvious that the sheet metal fenders took a lot of damage and were sometimes missing in places altogether. This was something I wanted to attempt with this. So, select parts of the fenders were cut and snipped away until I was happy with it. I can’t be sure that it is completely accurate – it by and large looks like the damage simulated on some similar models, but I have not seen a real vehicle up close. Throughout this assembly I was referring to the book “Adam’s Armour Modelling Guide 1” (Adam Wilder, AFV Modeller Publications, 2015, ISBN 9780955541384). This describes a lot of the techniques I attempted below.
  • As I had removed quite a bit of the support for the back of the vehicle I felt that the engine deck needed bracing up with wood blocks. Once I had the upper and lower hull joined and the back plate installed, I reckoned the latter sat just a little low, probably because it was missing the back fenders to lock it in place. You would have to look quite closely at it to see that and it is something which I can live with for the sake of trying something different with this build. Any obvious gaps or parts where I cut a little too much away were made good with Plastruct plastic sheet and rod.
  • The remaining fenders were given a rough and uneven appearance along the top and sides by using a Dremel tool on low speed fitted with a sanding wheel.
  • The metal barrel was fitted into the breach, held in place by a vinyl tube of the correct inner and outer diameters.
  • I decided that I did not want all the fuel tanks present. So, utilising the straps and handles from the Eduard photoetch set for the one tank present and repairing the weld detail on it I fixed this in place. The other empty holders for fuel tanks had the photoetch brackets added and were then fitted, except in one case where I wanted to depict one having been removed for some reason (and the stump appearing as it it had been roughly ground down with a tool).
  • The grab handle weld points were made less uniform by softening the plastic with thin cement and shaping with it various metal points.
  • Various other eyelets, handles and replacement metal parts were added.
  • I used a metal shackle by RB Model (#10396A). It looks bigger than the kit part, so maybe is not quite accurate. Even so, it looks nice and fits properly in the holder bracket.
  • I installed one tow cable and had that flapping across the back deck to rest on the remaining fender, the original attachment for it being somehow missing in action. As is obvious by now, I wanted this model to exhibit a beaten up look, whilst still being operational.
  • I added extra flame cut edges to some of the back plates, exactly as described in the Wilder book reference above.
  • Wiring (using 0.2 mm copper wire) was added to the front side lights, main light and horn.
  • Finally, a lot of the surfaces needed texturing with Mr.Surfacer 1000, applied roughly with an old brush.
  • All this took me quite a lot of time and I would not do it on every model. Even so, there are other things I could have done if I had wanted to – separate fixings for the tools, the addition of the very smallest handles (such as around the bracket to hold the shackles).

2 thoughts on “ISU-122 build – Part 2:Assembly

  1. Pingback: ISU-122 | Skarach's world

  2. Pingback: IS-2 build – Part 2:Assembly | Skarach's world

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.