The mudguards which came with my Defender were not in the best shape. Well, the front pair had been torn off at the brackets and the back pair were present but not correct – the left side one obscured the exhaust pipe. Likewise, the rear and side steps were sort of usable but had seen better days – they no longer retracted due to corrosion. One of the side steps was bent slightly – it must have been hit with a previous owner. Anyway, I took all this as an opportunity to renew everything. In the end, I got my local a garage to fit the items, as the fixing points on the chassis were quite corroded and my metalworking skills are currently next to non-existent. I decided to replace the original steps with a longer bar version. Finally, I found a nifty cover for the fuel filler recess, which should cut down on water/dirt/spider’s webs collecting there.