- Before anything else I added the various clear light pieces. The back lights were painted with Tamiya “Clear Orange” X-26 and “Clear Red” X-27 (diluted with Tamiya lacquer thinner).
- Sprayed a 1:1 mixture of Tamiya Acrylic XF-57 “Buff” and Tamiya Acrylic XF-52 “Flat Earth” in Tamiya X-20A thinner (10% paint mixture in thinner) on the lower half of the hull front and back, under the fenders on the sides, the suspension, wheels and selective parts of the upper hull. Looking at the pictures I took at this stage, I now think that I have slightly overdone the dust effect in places, especially around the turret area. I’m going to live with it for this one but it is something to watch out for next time, even though in daylight or under my desk light the effect doesn’t look as stark. I read somewhere that it was a good idea to make more use of the photographs which people take as they go along in the painting and weathering stages of a project – to see what the camera sees. I’ll try to do this more in the future.
- A mixture of “medium” colour pigments (including AK Interactive “European Earth”, AMMO “Rubble”, AMMO “Airfield Dust”, AMMO “Brick Dust” and Vallejo “Light Sienna” – see the complete recipe here) was applied by brush to the underside of the vehicle, selected top parts (turret ring, engine hatches) and the wheels. The pigments were fixed by either flicking white spirit from the end of a brush or spraying it on gently from a distance – either way trying not to disturb them! Subsequently, I flicked small amounts of a slurry of the same pigment mixture in white spirit onto the underside of the vehicle to suggest splashes of dried dirt. I decided early on that I didn’t want this one looking too worn out or messy (no wet mud or wet effects) – so, looking somewhat like this. I suppose that this is a vehicle operating during the summer time…