- As a first pass at dust or dirt, AMMO “Oilbrusher” oil paints (“Dust” A.MIG-3516 and “Earth” A.MIG-3514″) were dotted at various points on the hull, turret and wheels. After that the paint was “blended” or “melted” to the surface by the careful addition of enamel thinner. This way, the colours particularly collected around weld lines and objects on the surface.
- Streaking dust effects (such as old rain marks) were attempted on the sloping sides of the hull and turret by the application of the above paints, followed by drawing them down the surface with a damp flat brush. This was done multiple times, although I tried to keep the effect subtle.
- Once all the oil layers were dry (I tend to leave three or more days between each application) I sprayed everything with a 1:2 mixture of Mr.Color “Flat Clear” (182) and Mr.Color Leveling Thinner in order to provide a matt surface for the pigments.
- Usually I have used a pre-mixed set of pigments of similar colours. However, this time, in order to hopefully get a greater variation of colours I opted to add three pigments at the same time, but separately. So, AMMO “Dark Earth” (A.MIG-3007), “Europe Earth” (A.MIG-3004) and “Light Dust” (A.MIG-3002) were added sequentially by small brush to various parts of the hull and wheels and the top of the turret. After this, enamel thinner – with a small amount of Abteilung “Basic Earth” (Abt093) oil paint – was used to carefully fix the pigments in place. I had seen the use of oil paint in thinner – presumably to help as a binding agent – when applying pigments in a recent book: Abteilung 502 – Mastering Oils. In the end, for extra adhesiveness, I created a 1:1 mixture of AMMO pigment fixer and enamel thinner, again with some of the Earth oil paint. It seemed to behave itself and not leave any nasty tide marks when dry, which occasionally has happened in the past when using fixer solution. Looking at the latter pictures now, I can see some areas looking unnaturally clean of dirt – I shall remedy that.
- Friulmodel tracks (ATL-09) were linked with Albion Alloys’ 0.5 mm brass rod – I ended up using 72 links per side.
- Burnished with UMP “Ultimate Burnishing Liquid”.
- Washed with Winsor & Newton “Burnt Umber” oil paint, diluted in white spirit.
- Various AMMO pigments – “North Africa Dust” (A.MIG-3003), “Brick Dust” (A.MIG-3015) and “Track Rust” (A.MIG-3008) – were mixed with “Light Rust Wash” (A.MIG-1004) and brushed onto the tracks. Later, some of the excess was removed before drying. Even so, afterwards, I thought it looked a bit too rusty, but confident that it could be tone down by the addition of dirt.
- AMMO pigments “Dark Earth” (A.MIG-3007), “Europe Earth” (A.MIG-3004) and “Light Dust” (A.MIG-3002) were added individually by brush to the tracks and then fixed in place by the addition by brush of a 1:1 mixture of AMMO pigment fixer (A.MIG-3000) and enamel thinner (A.MIG-2019) – also in the mixture was a little 502 Abteilung “Basic Earth” (ABT093) oil paint.
- The ground contact points of the tracks were treated with AK Interactive “Dark Steel” (AK-086) pigment.
- I flicked spots of a mixture of Winsor & Newton “Lamp Black” and “Raw Umber” in white spirit onto the tracks, to simulated damp or darker patches. I think that I will redo this with the same and perhaps the AMMO enamel products also, now that the tracks are on the vehicle.
- The panel lines were treated with AMMO “PLW Deep Brown” (A.MIG-1618), left for 10 minutes and any excess wiped clean. As can be seen in the picture, the hull is not fixed yet, as the steering tail must be trapped between the sides when the appropriate weathering stage is completed.
- The entire vehicle was washed with AMMO “Afrika Korps Wash” (A.MIG-1001), left for 15-30 minutes and any excess removed with brush or cotton bud.
- The exhausts were painted with the LifeColor rust set .
- Chipping and scratches was done first with lighter shades of the camouflage colours, to simulate the lightest wear: Vallejo Model Color “Saddle Brown” (70940), “Buff” (70976), “Uniform Green” (70922) and Citadel “Ulthuan Grey”.
- Within these chips, and elsewhere, was painted Vallejo Model Color “German Camouflage Black Brown” (70822).
Primer: Tamiya “Fine Surface Primer” (light grey) spray can
Camouflage (tank): These very earliest tanks had quite colourful camouflage, before it was fully appreciated that they were not necessary on the Western Front. I followed the suggested position of the colours fairly well, but not obsessing about every twist and turn. All paints were thinned in Mr.Color leveling thinner in a 1:2 ratio: Tamiya “NATO Brown” (XF-68), “NATO Green” (XF-67), “Dark Yellow” (XF-60) and “Sky Grey” (XF-19). The black stripes were hand painted using AMMO “Matt Black” (A.MIG-046).
- Machine guns: AMMO “Matt Black” (A.MIG-046)
- Headlight: Citadel “Mithril Silver”
- Rear light: Vallejo Model Color “Red” (70947)
- The hull rhomboid pieces in contact with the tracks were lightly drybrushed with Citadel “Boltgun Metal”, as this area would be harder to access when the tracks were fitted.
Steering tail: Tamiya “NATO Green” (XF-67)
Tracks: Tamiya “Dark Iron” (XF-84)
Anti-grenade screen: I am assuming (hoping) that the frame of this is made of wood for the most part! If so, then I sprayed it first with Tamiya “Deck Tan” (XF-55) and then painted AMMO “Glossy Varnish” (A.MIG-091) over that. Once dry, several coats of AK-Interactive “Worn Effects fluid” (AK088) was applied and when these were dry, Tamiya “Khaki” (XF-49) was sprayed all over the piece. An hour later, with the aid of water and a stiff brush, some of this was removed, to show the underlying lighter colour of the wooden frame. This piece will look the better when it has been weathered more.
Gloss coat: A 1:2 mixture of Mr.Color “Clear Gloss” (46) and Mr.Color Leveling Thinner was sprayed over the entire model. The decals were applied and theses areas resprayed.